Friday, September 30, 2011

Kids and Barbie


Oh…the things a kid will do to Barbie

My daughter has a ton of once beautiful Barbie dolls that she has painstakingly destroyed. Yes, I am a Barbie fan. I grew up with them. I vividly remember my mom making cool clothes that no else had. My barbie beach house, swimming pool, and super cool van kept me, my sisters and neighborhood friends busy for hours.

During Christmas time, I would study the JC Penney toy catalog circling all Barbie paraphernalia. I couldn't wait for christmas eve. Once the presents were under the tree, I would sneak open the sides of the packages, read the labels and resort back to the catalog to see what to expect on what was soon to be the best day of my life! I loved my Barbie dolls. I would never paint on them, leave their hair a mess, or toss them in the toy box without clothes!

So what’s the deal with my daughter? She too loves her Barbie and Princess dolls. She tells me all the time how special Ariel is, but she leaves her in the toy box with no clothes, her hair is a mess and she painted purple nail polish all over her face! She adamantly scowls at me if I try to dress Barbie or comb her hair.  What could this be? So I thought the next time we play with Barbie, I would ease into a conversation about why Barbie and her friends seemed so tortured.




by Anita Smiley


No comments: