Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Headless Horseman Issue

Halloween Costume Drama

This year I received a lot of Halloween magazines in the mail. Apparently, everyone is now selling children’s costumes, Pottery Barn, Chasing Fire Flies and the many stores that cater to Halloween only.

My daughter loves perusing the magazines. She studies each costume that she likes carefully, sometimes getting into character. There are so many sweet ones, My Little Pony, Butterfly Fairies, even Ariel.

So I was surprised when my girly-girl told me she wanted to be the “Headless Horseman” for Halloween. What? Did I miss something on Nick Jr. or The Hub? I’ve never read this legendary folktale to her. Where did she get this idea?
After a little probing, I found out that she learned of the “Headless Horseman” through a Disney movie (Aladdin) advertisement.

She wants to be the Headless Horseman because it is scary. I asked her where she thought the head might be. She said it was high in a coconut tree, afraid to come down and maybe the Headless Horseman is really a girl.

It took me a few days to get her to understand that this costume might be difficult to navigate, as there is no head. She is now on to Wonder Woman…but she can only be the Wonder Woman that wears the star panties, not the skirt!

by Anita Smiley


No comments: